Last updated on May 21, 2014.
Your privacy is important to us. Here’s how we collect, share, use and store your information.
Information we collect
Information collected by bookowl will primarily be information provided by you. For example, bookowl may collect information you provide when you set up your user account or pay for products on bookowl. A non-exhaustive list of the type of information we may collect are provided below.
- bookowl may collect the following personally-identifiable information provided by you including, without limitation:
- E-mail address;
- Age; and
- bookowl may also collect the following non personally-identifiable information from you including, without limitation:
- your current internet protocol address;
- your browser type;
- your operating system type; and
- the domain name of your internet service provider.
In the event that you purchase a book through bookowl or contribute to crowdfunding a book, note that our payment service provide such as PayPal may collect the following additional personally-identifiable information to complete the transaction:
- Address and postal/zip code;
- Credit Card information; and
- Purchase history.
How we use the information we collect
We may collect personal information from you in order to:
- Better communicate with you;
- Identify your interest in particular books or genres;
- Improve our services;
- Complete a sale/transaction; and
- Publicly identify the author of a particular content. bookowl users may choose to expressly show their full name or alternatively only use their pen anme to show ownership of that content.
How we share the information we collect
A non-exhaustive list of when we may share your information is included below:
- To identify your contribution to a section of the Publiclogue;
- To analyze how many users are interested in a particular book or genre;
- To respond to a valid legal request, such as, a subpoena.
By signing on the bookowl website you agree to all such uses of your information.
Where we store information we collect
- bookowl is based in Canada. However, our servers are in the USA. Canadian and USA data protection laws may differ than those in your country and in some cases may be less comprehensive than the laws in your country. We will take all reasonable steps to protect your privacy. By using this site, you consent to your information being collected, used and stored as set forth in these policies.
- You acknowledge that in the event that a third party service provider such as PayPal is located in the USA or another foreign country, your personal information may be processed and stored in the USA or such other foreign country, and the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain disclosure of your personal information based on their laws.
How we protect the information that we collect
- bookowl encrypts our services using SSL.
- bookowl reviews its security measures to ensure that personal information is safeguarded from unauthorized access. Personal information is restricted to bookowl employees and contractors, who are subject to strict confidentiality obligations. Even with all our security measures, bookowl and its officers will not be held liable for any injury as a result of misuse or theft of personal information.
How you can access or correct your information
- Under “My Creative Space,” you can update your user account information and preferences
- You can reach us in Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to other websites
In the event that we use a payment service provider to act on our behalf by performing functions such as processing credit card payments or providing services delegated to them, we may place contracts or other means to ensure compliance with our Policy.
bookowl is based in Canada. Any funds collected on this site will therefore be in Canadian dollars.
All sales on this site are final; we do not offer refunds.